Thursday, March 10, 2005

 
Should Smoking Be Banned in Bars?

New Jersey and Philadelphia are considering smoking bans in public places. While the ban makes some sense, the libertarian in me absolutely despises this type of legislation.

I'm not a fan of "we can tell you how to run your place because you open it up to the public." I don't think property rights should be violated because you as an owner don't put restrictions on your clientelle.

The main argument, however, is that smoke is harmful to non-smoking clientelle and the people working there. As a non-smoker, I would have the following advice: You knew going in that there would be smoking. Quit your whining. Start your own bar, find a bar that is smoke-free, or stay home. If you don't want to work in a smoking environment, get another job.

If you go in knowing the situation, I don't see the need for legislation.

But it is a health issue. But you knew going in! Save me from myself?!? Spare me.

But they regulate the kitchen for health concerns. I, as a customer, lack the ability to go into the kitchen. Nor is the proprietor of an unhealthy kitchen upfront about the condition of the kitchen.

This legislation will pass because people care little about the property rights of owners. People are also comfortable with the nanny state making decisions for them about what is good for them. But I for one would like to make some of these decisions on my own. And I don't like smoking.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?