Wednesday, March 30, 2005

 
Eric Clapton Turns 60 and Prepares for Cream Reunion

Cream's version of "Crossroads" is absolutely one of my all-time favorite rock songs. Along with Sweet Child o' Mine, it has one of the best guitar solos in rock history.

Clapton may be the best guitarist of all-time. Happy birthday. I once asked my father who the best guitarist was. Not one to convey too much nuance to a kid my age, he simply said "Eric Clapton." I like Slash and Jimmy Page more. Jimi Hendrix was probably better. But once you reach a certain level, you are just dealing with preferences.

But given the length and depth of his career, Clapton deserves to be recognized as the best guitarist ever. He, at least live, can convey more with one perfect chord than some guitarists can ever dream of doing in an entire lifetime.

For my money, his best album is "From the Cradle". It is probably the best blues record I've ever run across as well.

Comments:
It's really hard to judge who the best guitarists is ever. I mean, there's just so many styles that certain people excel at, so you should probably break it down. Then you have the question itself, "What makes it a great guitarist?" Is it who can play the fastest? Is it who can come up with the best melodies? Is it the most groundbreaking? Is it someone who is more into ensable playing and therefore can be great without being overly noticed (i.e. the Edge)? With that all being said Clapton has to be at the top. One of the amazing things about him is that he made a decision a while ago to forego the guitar hero stuff and rarely lets it all loose on an awesome solo. For me I always tell people Stevie Ray Vaughan was the best, but as you say, it's all preference at a certain point. Other guitarists I like and respect: Slash, Dan Vickery (Counting Crows), Bruce Springsteen (not showy, but what a tone) Buddy Guy, BB King (literally sounds like his guitar is singing)...Chris J.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?