Wednesday, March 16, 2005

 
Can Papers End the Free Ride Online?

Very interesting article about how people are loathe to pay for access to news sites online. There are many reasons for this. One, I get my news from several different sources. Someone on Slashdot mentioned, there is no micropayment system. I can't view an article for just a cent or two. Two, you can't contain the news. It comes from all over the place. Most newspapers don't offer enough unique or valuable content to warrant payment.

I subscribe to the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer for simply one reason. Coupons. The paper pays for itself. I can get the news from anywhere, except for the local news. But anything truly important locally will be covered by local radio talk shows. I feel the editorialists add nothing of value. Not because they skew liberal and I'm conservative. They just don't add any good insights. One columnist is constantly complaining about idealogues on both sides every freaking week. The others just put you to sleep. The guest columnists are the only ones worth reading.

Now, why would I pay for this online?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?