Sunday, January 02, 2005

 
The Tsunami And The Problem of Evil

It never ceases to amaze me that people, esp. Christians, when discussing the problem of evil never discuss the answers Jesus gave on the subject in the New Testament. You'll see why in a second.

I've tackled the subject myself in the past, so I don't exempt myself from this criticism.

The question today is how could a good God allow a tragedy like the tsunami to occur. Jesus was asked a similar question, upped the ante Himself, and gave an answer. Here is the relevant passage:
Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them - do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” (Luke 13:1-5)

What is really illustrative of Jesus' answer? Repent or you too will all perish? Ummm...that's not really what we were expecting from Jesus, Marxist activist (or however else we imagine Jesus).

If you understand the nature of God and the sinfullness of man you are not asking questions like "Why does God allow bad things happen to good people?" You wonder "Now that I know that I'm a sinner, why doesn't God strike me dead?"

The original question is a good question. But if you are on the evil side of the equation, you need to ask the question carefully. And you need to start asking the right questions, with the right assumptions. There are no good people. So be careful when you complain about evil.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?