Wednesday, June 02, 2004

 
Ladies Night Banned in NJ

Does everything that may be possibly discriminatory be illegal? Does every immoral act need be illegal?

Of course not.

People have such a repulsion to discrimination due to shameful Jim Crow laws that they want the government to prevent any discrimination. I disagree.

I don't want the state to mandate discrimination. But does the state need to mandate non-discrimination of private establishments? I would boycott any establishment that discriminated on the basis of race. I am confident that a blatantly racist restaraunt would go out of business, at least where I live. But what if it didn't? Should we give racists more money by making them take money from people they hate? I would rather know who the racists are and give my money to someone else. But I could care less about an establishment that was women-only.

Obviously, these laws aren't going to change. Could you imagine a politician saying "I will let people do what they want (so long as it doesn't hurt someone) even if what they are doing is morally wrong"? Not happening.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?