Sunday, May 09, 2004

 
Taco Bell and the PC(USA)

The PC(USA), my denomination, has asking its members to boycott Taco Bell. I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not. It involves tomatoes. Taco Bell's supplier for tomatoes pays their migrant workers very little. If Taco Bell and the supplier paid more, the migrant workers would get more money and possibly a more decent living. This sounds like a good idea, but I'm boycotting the boycott.

I'm boycotting the boycott because my denomination has done very little to exercise church discipline. Countless ministers are destroying souls in my denomination. Many mutilate the gospel. Many condone what Scripture calls sin. The situation in my denomination is serious. Taco Bell, frankly, doesn't register on my radar.

Maybe I'll just ask for no tomatoes when I go to Taco Bell. Actually, why didn't they just ask us to do that?

And maybe the PC(USA) should try to provide a way to get those workers into other lines of work. Or maybe they should give the poor money and not expect Taco Bell and its suppliers to help the poor. While it would be great if Taco Bell did, God isn't going to hold Taco Bell accountable in the final judgment. But he will ask his covenant people what they did for the poor. Heck, I don't do nearly as much as I should, and to my shame. May God have mercy!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?